Our Lady of the Assumption Parish Primary Background

Who we are
Our Lady of the Assumption Parish Primary School Logo

Our Lady of the Assumption Parish Primary School Logo

Our Lady of the Assumption Parish Primary School is situated in the Peninusla zone in Cheltenham. It was established as a church/school in 1951 with an enrolment of 80 students and staffed by the Brigidine Sisters. At this time Cheltenham was part of the Highett parish. In 1957 the separate parish of Cheltenham was formed. During 2008 OLA celebrated it's golden jubilee as a faith filled community.

The school is seen as an integral part of the community. It is situated off the Nepean Highway on Centre-Dandenong Road. We have a current enrolment of approximately 440 students. Our buildings consist of seventeen classrooms, an extensive library, literacy resource centre, Virtual Centre and a new multi purpose hall for whole school and parish gatherings; a stage area that doubles as a Performing Arts Space, a LOTE room. There are two halls availiable for parish and school use. Our Lady of the Assumption has well-maintained facilities and ground with a well-designed adventure playground.

At Our Lady of the Assumption our religious education program is of the utmost importance. The sense of community that exists at OLA is a strong one. It is exemplyfied by the willingness of all members to support each other. It also ensures that our children grow in a secure, caring and spiritual environment.